[Dixielandjazz] Re:ART FORM DYING OUT

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Sat Jun 19 09:01:26 PDT 2004

Steve's comments about Jazz vs. Dixieland art forms,  and the latter dying
out, bring up a very important point, I think: Steve  said:

The definer  also claims "art form" Dixieland is dying out in the USA and
OKOM Festivals  will disappear soon.

All comments about any art form dying out, or any thing  completely replacing
another in our society, show the author's lack of  awareness of trends.
People used to say that a certain medium would replace  another, (e.g., radio would
replace newspapers, FM would replace  AM, TV would replace radio, etc.), but
it is clear that each develops its own  niche in time. The same seems true of
music styles and almost all forms of  art. In one sense, Dixieland and Ragtime
are classic forms. They will be with us  forever, I think, and from time to
time will enjoy great revival  periods. The concept of one form replacing
another completely is just  not reality.

Dan (piano fingers)  Spink