[Dixielandjazz] Re: Matthews Band of Lockport

D and R Hardie darnhard at ozemail.com.au
Sat Jun 19 11:56:00 PDT 2004

Dear Tom,
I doubt anyone alive has heard the Matthews Band of Lockport,
They were active around 1906, one of a number of bands in districts
surrounding New Orleans and
look like a fairly traditional brass band of the time. (See p 82 of the
Ancestry of Jazz).
I doubt they played jazz or recorded though this is probably Charles
Suhor's territory.. he might be able to
get further information
regards Dan Hardie
Check out the website at