[Dixielandjazz] Oscar Peterson - NY Times Review

AL LEVY jazz_man at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jun 17 19:12:57 PDT 2004

Hi All,
NY Times quote was
"Oscar Peterson is not what he was, BUT, he is still a joy to see/hear.
This trio swings and plays more music than most others these days..
===========
My wife and I went to hear Oscar about 5 years ago at Carnegie Hall.
Sitting to my left was Marion McPartland, right in back of me Barbara
Carrol, (I probably have the spelling wrong), and across the aisle was
Billy Taylor.
Intermission I caught Billy in the lobby.
"What do you think about the performance?" I asked.
Billy replied   "What do you think about the performance?"
I said "for anybody else it was marvelous. For Peterson, frankly I'm
somewhat disappointed.
Billy: Did you know he had a stroke?
Al: No
Billy: He's been playing with one hand all night.
(An occasional "stomp" with the left hand.)
Al: Ohhhh!

Cheers,
Al
Pianist, Composer, Arranger, Conductor, Teacher and Music Prep.
Please visit me at
http://alevy.com