[Dixielandjazz] Dan Barrett

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Wed Jun 16 20:17:35 PDT 2004

Dear Bob (and friends),
You said a few days ago (talking about the late 1960s): > The Fink Street 5
had kids in it such as Dan Barrett tbn, Paul Woltz banjo, Larry Wright tpt,
Bryan Shaw tpt, Bill Mitchell piano & some other really good musicians.  The
quality of that band was not to be believed.
They sounded more like the Lu Watters band than Lu Watters.
They blew Lu, who was there, away.  Also blew Turk away.

All this talk and reminiscing about the 1st Monterey Dixieland Festival
(1968) and the Fink Street Five may be an opportune time to ask a question
which has been worrying for a while.
I have one private CD track from an LP (or tape) which I believe may have
come via my mate, the late Tom Baker to another friend of mine, Peter Wood
now in Queensland, Australia.
All it says is "Dan Barrett aged 16. Unk. Title".
And, although slightly familiar, it is also unknown to me.
Starts with a verse by the full band, reminiscent of "Hello My Baby", then
into a low register clarinet solo. A tune in several parts, ala Lu Watters,
the composer.
Dan's roaring trombone solo, if nothing else, heralds what was to come.
Typical 'Watters' stuff and using the same 1940s instrumentation with 2
tpts. Also typical of Tom Baker's San Francisco Jazz Band (Australia,
1975-79)
I need more of this great unknown band. But who is it? What is the tune?
It sounds like a studio recording.
Dan was born on 14 Dec 1955, so he would have been 16 in 1972.
Anyone?
Very kind regards,
Bill.