[Dixielandjazz] Roy Lang

Mike Marois Mike.Marois at HireLiveMusic.com
Tue Jun 15 23:58:27 PDT 2004

I was saddened to hear the news about Roy.  I have many fond memories of the
gigs I had the privilege to play with him on the West Coast of Florida.  As
a matter of fact on of the first gigs that I did when I got to the
Sarasota/Bradenton area was a Roy gig.  The funniest gig memory was Roy
picking me up for a Friday night gig up in Tampa during a Tropical storm.
We out ran the storm in his Mitsubishi 3000gt.  The weather was fierce, but
Roy's motto was "The Show Must Go On!" and it did that night.  After the
gig, the storm had passed and everything was very calm and peaceful.
Through several subtle suggestions Roy taught me a lot of what should be
played in traditional jazz, and for that, along with several other things,
I'm very grateful.  I hope that he's stirring up stuff at that great jam
session in the sky.

Mike Marois

-----Original Message-----
From: dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com
[mailto:dixielandjazz-bounces at ml.islandnet.com]On Behalf Of G. William
Oakley
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2004 2:22 PM
To: DJML
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Roy Lang

I received the following from Tom Bartlett.

" Lew,

Thanks for keeping us abreast of Roy's deteriorating condition.  I really
never realized how tragically serious his condition  was until your last
e-mail.

I just talked  to his wife, Nancy.  He died early yesterday morning,
Monday, June 14.  She sounded o.k...and has family there to support her.
She did say that she thought it would "be sweet" to hear from his friends.
Address:  5361 Lake Arrowhead Trail
                                 Sarasota, FLA 34321

He was a good guy...always had that boyish enthusiasm for trad jazz...like
it was a new toy train under the Xmas tree.  He gave me that awful bright
blue plunger mute.  Now I'll prize it as the "Rat's Plunger!"

Tom

Roy "The Rat" Lang   Salty Dogs  tbn after Snyd..'68-69? "