[Dixielandjazz] RE: Gunter yodeling in Ascona

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 12 06:15:36 PDT 2004

Hi Tito and all,

You wrote:

>I wish you and your group a wonderful and happy stay in Ascona; you will
>wonder at its colorful ambience, friendly people (actually almost all
>locals speak english) and I'm certain you will enjoy the vast diversity
>of good quality Jazz Bands performing all around the town (all OKOM, of
>course).

Ah, how nice it would be if my group (The Boondockers) actually were going
to Ascona. In actuality I am going there as a guest of the festival in my
capacity as "Festival Editor" of the American Jazz Monthly Newspaper, The
American Rag. I will be in Ascona in the role of journalist rather than
musician.

I may or may not haul my washboard along in hopes of a sit in but there is
something to be said for the task of being an observer/listener/writer to
honor my obligations to my Editor and to the festival directors who invited
me.

Your descriptions of Ascona and the people are wonderful and I know I will
be delighted at not only the music at this international festival but also
the opportunity to meet new friends on this outing.

In addition, there will be a few DJML'ers in attendance, I know of four at
the moment and I imagine there will be more when we hold our Face to Face in
Ascona.

I also plan to file a report on the festival on the DJML. The public
relations department of the Ascona Jazz Festival have offered me the use of
their computer facilities and I should be able to let you know what's
happening as events unfold at the affair.

Thanks again, Tito, for your comments on the music, the people and the
place.

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com