[Dixielandjazz] TWO Monterey festivals

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Fri Jun 11 17:57:40 PDT 2004

Nancy,
Quite so! From "Jazz West" by K. O. Eckland, 2nd edition, 1995.
"Celebrations"--"DIXIELAND MONTEREY. First one, in 1968, was under this
tiitle to separate it from the  Monterey Jazz Festival--which had included
trad jazz in token foirm...but failed to gain necessary support for
continuance. A second try, in 1980, came as MONTEREY DIXIELAND JAZZ FESTIVAL
underwritten by the County Fair Board..." This is followed by an annual
listing of bands. Regards
Fred.