[Dixielandjazz] What A Wonderful World

David W. Littlefield dwlit at cpcug.org
Wed Jun 9 20:51:42 PDT 2004

At 06:01 PM 6/9/2004 -0400,

Stephen Barbone wrote:
>Ha Ha, well you said it, I didn't, insulting the musical opinions of the
>entire race. ;-)
>
>That is not, however, any of the lessons I had in mind, nor my view of
>the song. Ever an optimist., Lesson one  is that WAWW as exactly the
>type of song that will expand the audience for OKOM if used in the
>proper context by OKOM bands.

My dance band gets a request by the couple for WAWW at the majority of our
weddings. The past several years we've often played it as the Bride-Father
or Mother-Groom tune. No dixieland context this, we've been hired for our
big band classics, Louis Prima and Louis Jordan, or miscellaneous old
standards--Sinatra, Dean Martin, Gershwin, ballroom. We don't play it of
our own volition, unless somehow I get the feeling that the guests would
enjoy it. By now it's probably one of those
when-nothing-else-is-getting-them-out-on-the-dance-floor-try
Misty, WAWW or Release me...

--Sheik