[Dixielandjazz] ??

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Thu Jun 10 02:32:00 PDT 2004

Why is it that if the audience loves it, it is obviously a crap song
according to a lot of musicians?

When The Saints
Wonderful World
New York, New York
......to name three.

We do them all, including our latest "big hit" with the crowds:  Cabaret.

In my opinion, if the audience enjoys it then it's a great song!

Jim

p.s.  a few yrs ago, when "Wonderful World" was given the runaround on DJML,
Bill Gunter did an analyses of the words.  If looked at closely, they
reflect on the hopes of "any time" in history.  And, hope is very, very
important.

Every time I sing that song, and mouth the words of the measures just after
the bridge, I think of my own kids and what they have learned.  I heard
their first cries and now I listen to them tell me what they have learned,
and what they are doing with their lives........in cancer research (1),
helping itinerate workers understand their rights in the State of Washington
(2), explain which books are best for a mother's small child (3), create
unbelievable maps with info downloaded from satellites (4), and deal with
the world's economy (5).  These five points represent what my five children
have learned, and I have great hope for the future.

"I hear babies crying, I watch them grow.  They'll learn much more than I'll
ever know, and I think to myself, what a wonderful world."

..........and, THAT's one of the longest p.s. you'll ever want to read!