[Dixielandjazz] scale modes

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Wed Jun 9 16:03:57 PDT 2004

Hello Dan.....
      I don't remember reading Mehegan's comment about stride piano, but
whether he said it or not is not does not render his ideas to the trash
heap.  There are many modern enthusiasts who do not like OKOM, as there are
a  lot of OKOM players that don't like modern stuff.
       Both groups are limiting their horizons.  I can find enjoyment in
both types of music.  I grew up playing dixieland, but that did not stop me
from exploring the new harmonies.  Actually, they are not that new....most
of it has been done in classical music long before the jazz guys got around
to it.
       I'm sure there are newer systems being used.  I'm sure you can find a
lot of Mohegan's ideas in most of them.  Every one who comes up with a new
system likes to think of everything else as 'outdated.'  I guess it's an ego
thing.  Also every teacher likes to use his own thoughts and ideas in his
teaching.  That's one of the reasons I suggest that students change teachers
at least every two years.  Keep the new ideas coming.  Some of them will be
more useful than others.  Soon you will develop your own ideas and system,
and the cycle goes on.  Besides, I hardly think anyone who likes only OKOM
would worry about a system being outdated.
     Whatever system you go with, you will have to work at it and use it
till it becomes automatic...that is, you won't have to think about it as
much.  If you get the sounds of all the scale modes in your head...not just
memorizing the intervals, but the actual sound of them, you can get the rest
of the way on your own.
    The basic Ionian (major) mode is basic.  Any child can sing a major
scale up and down.  You should develop the ability to sing all of the modes
with equal facility.  That is, just sing them, without playing them first on
your instrument.  They should already be buried in your brain.  I can't do
them all yet, but I have most of them and I'm working on the rest.