[Dixielandjazz] Memories - Chord Progressions

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 9 12:10:24 PDT 2004

> From: "Patrick Cooke" <patcooke at cox.net> wrote
>
> Yes there are better systems.  One of the best is the Mehegan system by John
> Mehegan.  There are 4 volumes, and it takes time to get through them.  After
> the first volume, you should know how to remember chord progressions better,
> because instead of the conventional system of 'naming' the chords, they are
> numbered as related to the key signature.  Once you learn the numbers
> assigned to the chords, you can play the tune in any key.
>       Using this system, you will also learn the scale 'modes'  for all the
> keys you play in.  This is now fundamental in theory training, although it
> was neglected for years in our academic music curricula.  If you're not a
> natural player,as most of us aren't, then the modes are very important in
> your jazz training.
>        Get at least Book 1.  Learn the notation he uses...it looks
> complicated at first, but it's really not.  If you're looking for something
> we can tell you in a paragraph, that you can learn without studying and
> practicing, I can't give that to you, nor can anyone else.  You'll have to
> some work, and it will be time consuming.

AMEN PAT

This is by far the best system I've ever come across also. Many of us older guys are/were deficient in theory training, sight reading, etc. Mehegan's books are/were a tremendous help. Any song, and key, via the numbers system. I have friends who use it it combination with sight reading and it is a treat, for example,  to see them look at a piece of sheet music in Eb while playing it in C or so.

If one is not a natural player, but has had 5 or 10 years of doing this one can transpose any song, from any key, to any key without even thinking about it, completely by ear.

Or, if one has the talent of a Sidney Bechet, or Chet Baker, one can do it with no formal training and 5 years or more of concentrated gigging. Either way, as Pat says, it takes "work".

Cheers,
Steve Barbone