[Dixielandjazz] Memories

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Tue Jun 8 23:45:16 PDT 2004

Yes there are better systems.  One of the best is the Mehegan system by John
Mehegan.  There are 4 volumes, and it takes time to get through them.  After
the first volume, you should know how to remember chord progressions better,
because instead of the conventional system of 'naming' the chords, they are
numbered as related to the key signature.  Once you learn the numbers
assigned to the chords, you can play the tune in any key.
      Using this system, you will also learn the scale 'modes'  for all the
keys you play in.  This is now fundamental in theory training, although it
was neglected for years in our academic music curricula.  If you're not a
natural player,as most of us aren't, then the modes are very important in
your jazz training.
       Get at least Book 1.  Learn the notation he uses...it looks
complicated at first, but it's really not.  If you're looking for something
we can tell you in a paragraph, that you can learn without studying and
practicing, I can't give that to you, nor can anyone else.  You'll have to
some work, and it will be time consuming.
    Pat Cooke