[Dixielandjazz] Lee & Shearing

Ed Danielson mcvouty78 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 8 14:34:35 PDT 2004

John Bush, writin in the All-music Guide (www.allmusic.com), has these
comments:

"Upon its first release Beauty and the Beat! was billed as a live recording
from a Miami convention of disc jockeys. Though Peggy Lee and George
Shearing did in fact perform there (and attempts were made to record them
for later release), the songs heard on the subsequent LP were recorded in
the studio and overdubbed with rather obvious canned applause,
announcements, and even post-production echo. Lee and Shearing, who had
never recorded before, conceived a set of completely new arrangements that
played to their strengths: stately blues and effervescent swing. The best of
the former comes on a pair of locale-referencing quasi-blues, "I Lost My
Sugar in Salt Lake City" and "You Came a Long Way From St. Louis," both of
which Lee and Shearing are able to transform into languorous, respectable
torch songs. The usually downcast "Blue Prelude" is actually taken at a
laissez faire tempo that Lee treats well, and the original set ends with
"Get Out of Town" and "Satin Doll," a pair of bemused, affectionate
performances that perfectly suit the pair. Lee and Shearing's only
collaboration on record — though both would occasionally perform together
thereafter — is a supremely chilled session of late-night blues from two
masters of the form."

The album was released in 1959, and it really is excellent.  Shearing also
recorded with two other top female vocalists of the era, Nancy Wilson (in
1960 -- I think it's her best album) and Dakota Staton (in 1958).

Ed Danielson