Fw: [Dixielandjazz] First position on the trombone

Ken Barnes leveller at cox-internet.com
Mon Jun 7 18:28:59 PDT 2004

 James Kashishian wrote:

 <<<....but, I'll have to think about it (maybe pay attention while
 playing?)   to see if I use slide vibrato in 1st. position.  I kind of
 doubt it,  though.  There are always false positions if one feels
 he must use the slide  vibrato on a note normally played in first
position.  >>>

 -and-

<<...that's what thems chops are for.>>

 Absolutely. And a hearty "I'll second that!"

 The *only* thing to quibble about in what James has said is the term "false
 positions."   In many cases, those positions ("alternate" as some call
them)
 are, in fact, the *correct* positions, improving intonation and general
 facility  on the ole sliphorn...as well as laying better for slide vibrato.

 kb