[Dixielandjazz] DRESDEN DIXIELAND REPORT

Tom Wood zenith at ans.com.au
Sat Jun 5 15:52:36 PDT 2004

Dear Bob,

The six page contract we signed was sent in German.  The relevant clauses
were 7 & 8.

Clause 7 roughly translated states:
* 'TW' allows the 'Agent' the following unrestricted rights within the scope
of the agreed fee:
Recording in whole or part on tape in order to publish one or more tracks on
CD or machine for distribution in Germany (Recording of MDR included in the
fee.)
* Sound broadcast by cable or satellite in whole or in parts in the area
under licence
* Use of tapes wholly or in part in the licensed region in unaltered,
improved or original form.
The material is received in the following licence regions:
All of Germany (BRD)
German speaking Europe
Worldwide
Photographic rights will be negotiated directly with TW through the
corresponding medium

Clause 8 roughly translated states:
The transference of rights also "ties up" the publication of tracks on CD or
MC.  If TW has an exclusive contract with one recording label which stands
in the way of publication by the Dixieland Festival then he is to notify the
'Agent'.

I just signed the contract without any negotiation on the fee and these
particular clauses since I felt it would otherwise affect our acceptance.
In any case the Zenith currently self produce their own CDs and are not tied
to any recording label.  We had negotiated for some time on other matters
such as travel expenses but I did wonder about the last two items in clause
7, "Worldwide" and "photographic rights" !?

However, as far as I was concerned, all in all, the hassle was well worth it
for the experience.  We were a late acceptance for this May festival and
missed out on most of the preliminary PR material although we were listed
first (lucky "A" for Australia) in the final programme.

Cheers,
Tom