[Dixielandjazz] Doubling Trumpet Trombone

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 4 13:53:19 PDT 2004

> "James Kashishian" <kash at ran.es>
>
> And, to get myself in even more trouble....
>
> I can tell immediately by someone's improvisation whether they are basically
> a slide trombonist or a trumpeter when they are playing the "other" horn.
> No trumpeter that picks up a trombone improvises with a trombonist's ideas.
> They play it like it were a trumpet, and that includes Morrison.
>
> Slide guys think slides.

Ha Ha, and it's trouble you get. Randy Reinhart was a bone man with Jim Cullum as Don Ingle pointed out, and a veritable MONSTER on slide trombone
while there. (6 years or so?)

He is now a cornet player mostly and heavily influenced by Bix.

Trust me, you would not be able to tell he ever touched a trombone from the way he plays cornet. Nor would you think he was a cornetist when he
plays trombone.

Remember what Monk said: "Never say something can't be done musically, because the moment you do, someone will come along and do it." :-) VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone