[Dixielandjazz] Multi-Instrumentalists

Edmetzsr at aol.com Edmetzsr at aol.com
Fri Jun 4 13:10:40 PDT 2004

Dear Listmates,
    This thread has gone on now for several days without anyone mentioning
Parke Frankenfield, perhaps one of the most versatile of all the
multi-instrumentalists. As most of you know, Parke passed away just a few months ago, but he
shouldn't be forgotten so soon.
    To hear his trombone (valve and slide) and soprano sax, there are a
series of four Swing 'N Dixie CDs that were recorded in the early 1990s. His own
big band recording, done just a few years ago, has him playing alto, clarinet,
soprano, trumpet, trombone and keyboard, and also has a bunch of his vocals.
About 20 years ago, he produced a recording with him playing all the instruments
in the big band (his charts, too) 5 reeds, 6 brass, and 4 rhythm (yup, he
played drums, bass and guitar also), and 4 part vocals - overdubbed of course.
I know that these kinds of recordings are not totally unique (Jim Maihack had
a recording like this no too long ago, as I recall), but they must be sort of
rare. Also, how about Bill Prince from Jacksonville.
    Anyway, for those of us who had a chance to hear Parke, and to work with
him as I did, you know that it took a lot of work just to carry and set up all
those horns.
    Regards, Ed Metz, Sr. (come hear the Bob Cats in Elkhart later this
month, or in Moodus, CT in late July)