[Dixielandjazz] Trombone/Trumpet (or Cornet)

Harold Smith s3856lpa at webtv.net
Thu Jun 3 20:24:52 PDT 2004

Agree about Dan Barrett, who, to my mind
plays both horns quite similarly in style.
I think Mr. Barrett plays with such warmth and wit.  He's really a
musician's musician.

By the way, as a kid I remember Sonny Dunham was equally at home with
the two horns, except memory tells me he played valve trombone.  First
time I heard "Memories of You" was Dunham's super performance with the
Casa Loma Band.

Also, Tommy Dorsey could play a pretty hot cornet as well, and I think
there are a few recordings around with him doing it.

Both Jimmy Dorsey and Benny Goodman  played (I think) trumpet, too, on
rare occasions.  Don't know if they ever picked up the trombone.

Harold Smith