[Dixielandjazz] trumpet/trombone

David Livingston snargi01 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 3 11:40:00 PDT 2004

I know several players that can switch back and forth in sets between trombone and trumpet, and they do it (or did it) well. Unfortunately, none of the ones I have heard play trad. Maynard Ferguson does it (did it?). In fact, he designed the Holton Superbone. He also was very good on the French Horn and soprano sax. Another one is Mic Gillette who was the original lead trumpet for Tower Of Power, an RnB/Funk band that has been around since the late 60s. TOP's current lead trumpet, a guy named Mike Bogart, can also switch. What makes these three guys more impressive on the horn switching is that they'll start a song on trumpet, take a long bone solo, then pick up the trumpet again and immediately hit stratospheric notes. Most of us trumpet players who do try switching can barely get a note out on the trumpet after playing the bone for a while.

James Kashishian <kash at ran.es> wrote:Seeing various names of musicians who play both trumpet & trombone pop up on
DJML brings me to make a comment:

The amazing thing about Morrison is that he plays both horns better than
almost anyone else anyone has ever heard. Normally, if a musician shares
his time between two axes (reed guys are except!), he/she either excels on
home & is mediocre/awful on the other (that's me!), or doesn't really excel
on either.

I've seen people move around the bandstand playing every instrument
available, but they play just ok. Jim Morrison is just not in a normal
category.

Jim