[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 18, Issue 2

Bcf111 at aol.com Bcf111 at aol.com
Wed Jun 2 12:35:31 PDT 2004

In a message dated 6/1/04 8:40:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Dick Redmond
writes:

> I noticed some differences this year which are probaboly related to the
> rumor
> of financial troubles.  Only one foriegn band this year instead of the usual
>
> ten or so.  The hours were cut back for the nite sets.  There were fewer
> venues this year, and I noticed that the old rule about people playing only
> with
> one group were broken.  AND fewer trad bands than usual and more of the
> other
> varities.  What did the rest of you notice????   Dick Redmond,  Palm
> Springs.
> ------------------------------

Gosh, Dick, were you at the same  Sacramento Jazz Jubilee  that I attended?

First of all, they are not 'rumors' of financial troubles.  Up front, there
ARE financial troubles, and the STJS, under the leadership of new president
Vince Bartels, is doing something about it: more accountability for expenses,
especially at Jubilee-run bars; fewer perks for volunteers (shirts, drink/food
tickets); a few less venues; fewer foreign bands (but not just one -
specifically, Hot Jazz Band from Hungary, Jazzin' Jacks from Sweden, Fat Sam from
Scotland, Climax from Canada, no free booze for musicians on stage (however,
hospitality rooms are untouched). Shorter hours, seeing as how that the late night
sessions were sparsley attended anyhow; To sum it up:   a general tightening-up
without lessening the experience for ticket buyers.

Although I claim mouldy fygg  status, I am not at all disturbed by the
broadening of the base - that is, more non-trad jazz.  Obviously, we must appeal to
the young people, and then attempt to wean 'em away from whatever and onto
trad jazz.  We can't do that if they ain't there! At the same time, the all -trad
centers are still there at the Yolo Room, Lagoon Terrace, and elsewhere.  I'm
happy with the balance.

I've attended every Jubilee -  all 31 since 1964- and each one has been 'the
best yet'.  I'm optomistic about the positive changes that Vince and his
supporters are making, and am confident  that the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee will
prosper long into the future, with a broad appeal to those who love American  jazz
music, even Zydeco.

Best regards, Ben Fowlkes, old fogy in Sacramento

: