[Dixielandjazz] Peggy Lee

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 1 17:49:48 PDT 2004

> csuhor at zebra.net (Charles Suhor) wrote (polite snip)
>
> Also--I think that Peggy Lee is one of the most underrated singers in jazz.
> What phrasing, what soul, what a sound!--and a great sense of humor too.
> Her "Black Coffee" 10" LP on Capitol (with a quartet that had Jimmy Rowles
> on piano and Ed Shaugnessy on drums), only partially released on scattered
> CDs, is a jewel!

Hi Charlie & List mates:

I'm with you. Not only a great singer, but a great lady to work with according to
our guitarist and others who toured with her for a while about 35 years ago. He
waxes eloquently about how well she treated her musicians and how hip she was.
Kind of like Ella and Billie were, with the musicians who backed them.

She took some heat late in career (mostly from young folks seeing her for the
first time) for her overstated little girl type of dress and heavy make-up but
that was her trademark. As you say she had a great sound, wonderful phrasing and
some beautiful deadpan humor like in "Is That All There Is?" She was always a
class act and still is underrated.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone