[Dixielandjazz] Capitol Jazzmen ID please

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Jun 1 12:54:11 PDT 2004

If my dusty memory is right at least one of the tracks with Peggy Lee on
drums was a cute gimmick where everbody was playing a "second instrument"
rather than their main one. Do any of you amazing folks who have great
personnel ID resources know the lineups on those sides?

Also--I think that Peggy Lee is one of the most underrated singers in jazz.
What phrasing, what soul, what a sound!--and a great sense of humor too.
Her "Black Coffee" 10" LP on Capitol (with a quartet that had Jimmy Rowles
on piano and Ed Shaugnessy on drums), only partially released on scattered
CDs, is a jewel!

Charlie Suhor

John
Belated Happy Birthday.

Clambake in Bb
The Capitol Jazzmen
Billy May, tpt; J.T. tbn; Jimmy Noone, clt; Dave Matthews, tnr; Joe
Sullivan, pno; Dave Barbour, gtr; Art Shapiro, bass; Zutty Singleton, dms;
Recorded LA 16 November 1953

There are 22 tracks by "The Capitol Jazzmen" issued on Jazz Unlimited label
(JUCD 2044). The title is "The Hollywood Sessions - The Capitol Jazzmen +
The Hollywood Hucksters a.o."
This includes the tracks (Ten Cats & a Mouse) with Peggy Lee playing drums.

Phil O'Rourke
Australia