[Dixielandjazz] Re: CLYDE McCOY Plunger Mute

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 29 12:50:10 PDT 2004

I'd say he's half-right.
Sugar Blues was popular in the '40's...maybe the '30's. It's a real crowd
pleaser, and although I'm not crazy about it, this week I've been performing
it in my wife's assemblys she's putting on for  recruiting new band members
at her schools, and just 30 minutes ago she came home and told me she is
signing up a BUNCH of cornet players. They love the mutes I play for them.
She usually has advanced 6th grade(2nd year)cornet players demo, but she
could get any this year, so she bribed me into doing it!
A Harmon mute works great...sounds like a baby crying for some sugar.
It was the very first tune I learned from a record (78 RPM) in 1948...
I never have perfected the "hiccup" he does! Not sure but I think he sucks
backwards into the mouthpiece, sortof like George Rock did in the Spike
Jones band.(A great trumpet player by-the-way!)
I also play a Solotone mute for them...a little bit of "The Toy Trumpet".
For my open-horn tune, I play Stardust...they've never heard those tunes
before, but so what? NOW they have! :~)
Bob Romans
Cell Block 7
Home 209-339-4676
Cell 209-747-1148
www.cellblockseven2002.net
"Because I play trumpet, I envy no man!"