[Dixielandjazz] Illinois Jacquet obit.

l.swain at comcast.net l.swain at comcast.net
Sun Jul 25 12:26:24 PDT 2004

On 25 Jul 2004 at 13:43, Norman Vickers wrote:

>  Here's an Illinois Jacquet obit. I saw him live with his big band in
> Sarasota about 10 years ago.  George Wein was the honoree and the impresario of
> the Jazz Festival there.

<SNIP>

Not much of a fan of his style of music, I heard little of his
stuff after attending a performance featuring him at Symphony Hall,
Boston, when I was in high school -- probably '52 or '53. The one
thing about his appearance there that is a vivid memory was his
tossing his sax straight up 15 or 20 feet, spinning himself around
360 degrees, and catching the sax and resuming playing, without
missing a beat.

Larry Swain