[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bass/tuba solos

maggie maggief at comcen.com.au
Sat Jul 24 19:36:47 PDT 2004

The best way to have a tuba solo and capture peoples attention is by having
them in front of the band with percussion only. At a Jazz Convention in Aust.
I had a washboard band (with Bill H.). 26 washboards including a bass, about
6 feet tall, and Pip Avent (ex LSO) played the William Tell overture to a
standing ovation. There were no other instruments. We did the 1812 overture
and got the comment that "I didn't know jazz musicians could play classical
music also"
Adrian Ford at maggief at comcen.com.au