[Dixielandjazz] Bass players

David Richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Fri Jul 23 11:29:51 PDT 2004

Brian,
there are  ill-informed cheap jokes about ALL instrumentalists,
vocalists, conductors, composers and arrangers, publishers, managers,
union leaders, venue owners, recording studios, radio people,
audiences, music stores... just about any aspect of music has jokes
about it!

even drummers ;-)

As to your more serious comment: yes, listening to the great musicians
you and Steve mention can be a great education and very inspirational
but sometimes the means, ability, and opportunity for us to all become
their equals is just not there. I have been playing bass horn for about
40 years now (counting school) and I guess I have a lot of technical
skills and experience, but there are still many things I do not know.
If I had it to do all over I might have chosen to go to music school
and become a "starving artiste" but I actually like doing just about
what I am doing now. I have fun, I play a lot of music of various sorts
with a lot of interesting people, I get to travel a bit and sometimes I
even make some money.

As a bonus, every once in a while somebody comes up to me and says they
really liked my playing (or that they enjoy my radio show) - so that is
enough for me!

Ego? What Ego?

Dave Richoux