[Dixielandjazz] Bass Solos

Beth Villanyi bethv at portafortuna.com
Fri Jul 23 10:33:20 PDT 2004

Hi Rebecca,

Obviously, you have never heard the outstanding tuba playing of David "Red"
Lehr, who plays with Jean Kittrell and the St. Louis Rivermen, Jazz
Incredibles, etc. If you can get hold of a recording of their "New Tiger
Rag" you won't believe your ears. The man actually triple-tongues the tuba
and gets sound from it at the same time!

He and Jeannie are the main reasons I became a trad fan in the first place.
What a shame their gig at the Robert E. Lee had to close - that was always
my favorite thing to do when visiting St. Louis (my hometown).

Respectfully,
Beth Villanyi