[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bass Solos

Russ Guarino russg at redshift.com
Fri Jul 23 10:29:40 PDT 2004

Dan,

I think one of the really tough jobs is to make every tune unique and avoid
boredom.  How do you really do it?  Obviously the band personnel "cycle" gets
boring.  These are some of the things I've tried...

1]  Sing a four beat break instead of play it.  Have you heard Milenburg Joys with
"Sweet Boy, syncopate your Mama" in the middle of a solo chorus?  Unexpected and a
"wake up" bar. But I find most of my musicians are too shy to sing it. I sometimes
grab the mike and sing that bar in the middle of the Bass Sax solo.  [ pre-arranged
].

2]  Start the tune with a one horn solo with the band coming in at "A".

3] Start or insert the tune with a duet, say, cornet and trombone.

4] the music leads to a four beat break.  Why not four beats of silence? Very
unexpected and another "Wake Up" sound. Or lack thereof. [ No more than twice in
one night ].

5] Start the tune with one horn and pyramid the rest of the band in four bar
intervals.

6] Short drum solo in the middle of the tune.

7] Accent cymbal sounds at the peak of phrases.

8] Sing he second or third chorus.  Harmonize it.  Need musicians with good ears
and lack of shy attitude.

9] Trade fours.  Background must be very soft or it just sounds the same as the
regular chorus.

10] Tempo changes, fast to slow or slow to fast.  We do this with "Tin Roof Blues"
and it is really neat.  Slow to fast, double time.  Sometimes the rhythm goes to
double time but the tune continues in original time.

I would be interested in any other ideas the readers might have.

Russ Guarino