[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bass Solos

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 23 10:09:58 PDT 2004

     And another thing--
     95% of audiences can't distinguish a good
solo from a bad one.  Hell, most of 'em are not
musicians, and i suspect that they don't even
CARE as we do about notes and technique and
ideas.  They have NO IDEA how hard it is to play
notes with good technique and interesting ideas,
and hence they don't care.
     What the audience is looking for is
Entertainment (as Brother Wiggins has been
correctly shouting down our pie-holes for years):
soloists SEEMING to play with emotion, which
translates in their furry little minds to bodily
movement, facial tics, and the like.  They don't
know from notes (as they might say in Noo Yawk).
So if you play your standard-Bb solo standing
there stiff as board, with  no body movement or
facial expressions, it might be the greatest
extemporaneous musical utterance since Louis
Armstrong, but odds are the audience won't know
it.  They've grown up watching rock stars (not
necessarily 'musicians') playing ear-destroying
solos and contorting every available muscle-group
into an ecstatic rictus, so they think that's how
one should play solos.
     That's one reason it's difficult for them to
appreciate the odd tuba-solo, even more than the
odd string-bass solo (who at least is standing up
and moving his arms).  The tuba-picker sits in
the back of the bus--whoops, sorry, back of the
band--behind the other players, and his face is
hidden by the tuba bell.  All you might be able
see (as if you cared) is his fingers moving.
He's got a much better chance of being
appreciated if he plays a sousaphone or helicon,
because he's standing up and you can see his
face.  Make a dancing bear out of him and you've
got yourself an ace tuba-soloist.

     Dan
Rebecca and DJML--
     Indeed, i agree, but go further: why should
ANYONE solo?  95% of the solos i hear, even in
so-called professional bands, are just noodling,
have nothing of musical interest, repeat stale
musical motifs, have no originality, and are not
even very good technically on the instrument.  So
why do people feel forced to take solos when they
have nothing good or original to say? Most solos
don't even remind one much of the original tune,
unless the player is good enough to use parts of
the original melody in his solo.  Talk about ego
and solos?  Bass/tuba players have (and have to
have) less ego than the front-line players.
     "Just hoping it would get better, man", as
the sax-soloist said in response to the question
of why his solo lasted for 20 minutes.
     Now, 5% of the soloists consistently have
something good, or original, or technically
impressive, or just different to say, most of the
time.  So why should the audience have to listen
to 16 bars of the original tune, followed
automatically in every tune by 32 bars of solos
by the clarinet player, the trumpet player, the
trombone player, the piano player, and the banjo
player, with a final 16-bar reminder of the
original song at the end?  Very boring. Bands
play different songs because they like the songs
and the songs are different from each other (one
hopes), so why not play more by the whole
ensemble?  That's when actual
'dixieland'--improvised polyphonic
counterpoint--occurs.  There's no dixieland in
solos, which have no counterpoint.  There may be
jazz (not bloody likely, usually), but no
dixieland.
     With regard to bass/tuba-players (not "with
respect to", since they don't get any), 99% of
them can't take a good solo (including me, which
is why i don't). However, the 1% that usually do
play good solos are better at it than 95% of the
solos by the other instrumentalists, so i'd
rather hear a solo anytime by Dave Gannett than
one by the trumpet player in band X.  Bass/tuba
players are not necessarily worse or
less-talented musicians than any other
instrumentalists, but they're treated that way in
bands, and are written for that way by composers
and arrangers.
     That should be enough for a while.  End of rant.

     Dan