[Dixielandjazz] Bass Solos

Patrick Cooke patcooke at cox.net
Fri Jul 23 09:32:46 PDT 2004

Rebecca....
     Maybe you just haven't heard the right bass player yet.
                           OR
Why a drum solo?  or for that matter, any other instrument.  There is
definitely an element of ego involved....it's the player's chance to "show
off".
                            OR
Maybe it's to keep the bass player from falling asleep or dying of boredom.
Bass players whose leaders want them to play 2-beat all the time are
especially susceptible to this.

Having said the above, there are some bass players who play the same thing
on a solo as they play when they are backing the group.  This strikes me as
being  rather pointless, and could be the kind of bass solos you've been
hearing.
                Pat Cooke