[Dixielandjazz] Re: Jazz Dissertation

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Thu Jul 22 12:42:01 PDT 2004

Steve,
No point in "flogging a dead horse here."
What Jim Europe; Will Cook  were playing in those early days is a matter of
record. There are plenty of jazz books around which tell the story.  Quoting
from Albert McCarthy's book, page 11 "...a 1914 concert feaured an
extraordinary line-up that included 47 mandolins, eleven banjos, thirteen
cellos, eight violins etc etc "    Does this sound like a jazz band?  Need I
go on?
Some of their material might have reminded us of ragtime, by its sycopation
but not jazz.  There would have been little or no improvisation and they
would have been "following the dots" very closely or playing from the
memorised dots.

Bechet went to Europe with Will Cooke's Southern Orchestra in 1919 but that
is about as close as we can get to a jazz connection for that orchestra in
those early days.

Now, if you wanted to hear black or creole bands playing jazz before the
ODJB's visit to England, in the pre-1917 period, you would have to go to the
bands of Kid Ory, Freddy Keppard; King Oliver, Bunk Johnson etc. None which
recorded before 1917, as we all know.    Also the enthusiasm for the search
for the fabled Bolden cylinder has faded.              Too bad!

Brian Towers
http://hotfivejazz@tripod,com (band web sites)