[Dixielandjazz] Re: THE ARTISTIC GRIMACE

Beth V bethv at portafortuna.com
Thu Jul 22 10:58:59 PDT 2004

Hi Everyone,

I had to come out of my lurking closet to comment on this one. I agree that with many artists the moves or expressions are put on as "part of the act", but many are truly involuntary, and in some cases, completely unconscious.

In my case, I was playing a flute solo at a concert recently, when, at the end, I noticed all the members of my group and several of the audience members who were standing in the rear, all standing on one foot! After the number was over, I asked them what was going on, and they couldn't believe I didn't realize I had been balanced on one foot through my entire solo! I had no idea, honestly. Now of course, I'm self-conscious of it and it tends to distract me when my leg automatically lifts itself off the ground as I'm playing.

I'll be sure to watch for John Skillman's knee jerk when Buck Creek are performing at the Vintage Jazz Festival in Rohnert Park over Labor Day. But I won't stand in the back and mimic him while he's playing ;-)

Beth only-one-leg-to-stand-on Villanyi