[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Dissertation

Brian Towers towers at allstream.net
Thu Jul 22 10:38:38 PDT 2004

Jim,

Just one snag to the learned Catharine Parsonage's Ph D dissertion - the
black group that toured Britain in 1919  - "Will Marion Cook's Southern
Syncopated Orchestra" - was not a jazz band and so comparisons by academics
with the ODJB invoke the old "comparing apples with oranges" dicta!
Regards,
Brian Towers