[Dixielandjazz] Re: Fonk

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Tue Jul 20 09:18:44 PDT 2004

T'would seem a likely selection for a following up tune to your horse pucky
routine would be to do the old Freddie "Schnicklefritz" Fisher tune, "Horsey
keep your tail up."
   Horsey keep your tail up
   Horsey keep your tail up
   Keep the Sunlight from my eyes.
   Horsey Keep your tail up
   Horsey Keep your tail up
   Never mind about the flies....etc.
   Spike also recorded it but Freddy was the first to do so.
   My season with him in Aspen, winter of '59-'60 was an unforgettable
gig...but then Freddy was unforgettable as well.
   His son King ( now going as Joseph in OZ) was on cornet and Moi on valve
trombone and Freddy on whatever he had close to hand. The bell of his bass
sax was the depository for his cigaret ashes and butts. It was a fun gig -
just four us most nights  with Walt Smith, a mucho talented pianist on
piano, and some sit in visiting musicoes to fill in on some weekends. A
frequent sit in was Joe Marsala who lived in aspen at the time.
"Horsey" was the most requested tune and we often had to play it two or
three times a night.
The Saints never had a chance!!
Don Ingle