[Dixielandjazz] THE BLUES - Reality vs. perception.

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Jul 19 09:10:24 PDT 2004

Good article Steve:

If Elijah plays as well as he writes, he is an artists I woild like to hear
and meet, he definitely has his story correct.

In 30 years of business and friendship with John Lee Hooker, I never saw him
once without a suit on, didn't wear ties, but always a suit,  he too always
said that the look of a true Bluesman was a nice Suit and a symbol of success,
he hated that Mississippi vagrant look.    And he loved it when folks Black and
White would call him Mr. Hooker, it brought that big old friendly smile
across his face and a twinkle in his eyes.

That dress code permeates the Black American society today, FIne clothes are
a must for all of them who want to appear to be successful, just got to any
Black church on a Sunday morning and look at the array of fine stylish clothes
and jewelry, not to mention the fine shiny luxury cars in the parking lot.
You will also see a vast number of shiny Gold caps on teeth all around you.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins