[Dixielandjazz] Hello, Dixieland Jazz Fans! Creole Jazz Band news...

Creole Dixieland Jazz Band dave at creolejazz.com
Sun Jul 18 13:20:05 PDT 2004

Greetings, Dixieland Jazz Fans!

This is the occasional newsletter of the Creole Dixieland Jazz Band from Springfield, Missouri. (Removal instructions at the bottom of this message.)

For details on all of this news and a whole lot more, visit our website: http://www.CreoleJazz.com.

BIX BEIDERBECKE FESTIVAL THIS WEEK
The guys are really excited about performing along with ten other great jazz bands at this year's Bix Beiderbecke Memorial Jazz Festival in Davenport, Iowa July 22-25. Jerry Hoover will be unable to make the trip with us as he'll be busy with 600 students at this year's "Bands Alive" band camp at Southwest Missouri State University. However, we are thrilled to have Gary Linde from Tulsa, Oklahoma with us in Davenport. Gary brought his wife, Susan, up over the July 4th weekend and played clarinet and soprano saxophone on four jobs with the Creole band and knocked 'em dead! He's a fantastic player and a great guy and we're looking forward to having Gary play with us this week in Iowa. Read about all the bands that will be at the festival on the Bix site: http://www.bixsociety.org

Here is our schedule for Davenport:

Thursday, July 22
10 p.m. Col Ballroom

Friday, July 23
4 p.m. Holiday Inn
8 p.m. Danceland
11 p.m. LeClaire Park

Saturday, July 24
Noon LeClaire Park
3 p.m. Holiday Inn
9 p.m. Col Ballroom
11 p.m. Holiday Inn

All Sets are 45 minutes long. We are not scheduled to play on Sunday (because we're playing Thursday night) so we'll head back to Springfield for our regular Sunday night engagement at Arris' Pizza. Hope to see you in Davenport in July! For ticket and festival information visit: http://www.bixsociety.org.

DES MOINES, IOWA CONCERT!
We are also really excited about being part of Kurt Bowermaster's "Good Time Jazz Concert Series" in October. We will perform Saturday, October 16 from 7-10 p.m. at the Adventureland Inn & Resort (I-80 and Highway 65) in Altoona, a suburb of Des Moines. Call 515-251-7602 for tickets and information. Doors open at 5:00 p.m. The Adventureland Inn $11.95 Prime Rib Buffet is served from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. Pre-show dinner entertainment begins at 5:30 p.m. There is a dance floor and general admission table seating. If you're in the neighborhood, come by for this great concert.

JOEY's ONLY SEAFOOD THROWS BIG CREOLE BAND ANNIVERSARY PARTY
Last month the Creole Dixieland Jazz Band celebrated its first year of "Mardi Gras Monday" nights at Joey's Only Seafood Restaurant. Aaron and the gang at Joey's marked the occasion by having a huge sheet cake with the band's photo on it! All the happy patrons ate free cake all night and enjoyed the balloons, festive atmosphere, and New Orleans jazz by the Creole Dixieland Jazz Band. Thanks, Aaron and crew, for making it a great night and a fantastic first year at Joey's. Haven't been out to Joey's yet? See ya Monday!

EVERY SUNDAY NIGHT at ARRIS' PIZZA
Come for the terrific pizza, great service, and hot jazz every Sunday from 6:30 till 8:30 p.m.; 1332 E. Republic Road in Springfield. Remember to call for a reservation, 417-881-7260.

GREAT MUSICIANS
Lots of terrific musicians have played with or sat in with the Creole Band lately:

Cornet - Mark Brueggemann, Lee Smith, Gary Church
Clarinet - Jerry Hoover, Dick Turner, Tom Parkhurst, Gary Linde
Trombone - Red Ormsbee, Chuck Mahaffey
Piano - Harry Beckett, Lee Smith, Milton Quakenbush
Bass - Brandon Henson, Richard Kittleman, Chris Slater
Tuba - Mike Marois, Bob Loffler
Vocals - Steve Mann, Rudy Stretesky, Mignon Sass, Ron Morse

A complete list of musicians who have played with the band one time or another is on our website: http://www.CreoleJazz.com.

FUN TUNES
Lately we've played: "Sugar", "Shine", "You've Been a Good Old Wagon (Daddy, But You Done Broke Down)", "Fidgety Feet", "Saints Go Marching In", "Hello Dolly", "My Little Bimbo (Down on a Bamboo Isle)", "Emperor Norton's Hunch", "Black & Blue", and lots of other fine old tunes. Come request your favorites Sundays and Mondays.

THANK YOU
A very special "Thank you" to everyone who continues to come out to support live, traditional, New Orleans jazz. We are proud to have marked our one-year anniversary at Joey's last month and in September will celebrate five years of Sunday nights at Arris' Pizza. Traditional jazz is alive and well in Springfield, Missouri. Thank you so much for supporting it!

See you soon.

The Creole Dixieland Jazz Band
"It's a treat to beat your feet"
http://www.CreoleJazz.com
Springfield, Missouri
Dave Gravatt
417-581-5626
SUNDAYS: Live, hot, traditional New Orleans Dixieland jazz from 6:30 till 8:30 every Sunday night except Easter and the Superbowl at Arris' Pizza, 1332 E. Republic Road (between Fremont & National) in Springfield, Missouri; 417-881-7260.

MONDAYS: Hear the band EVERY MONDAY night from 6-8 p.m. at Joey's Seafood Restaurant, 1645 W. Republic Rd in front of Remingtons at James River Expressway and Kansas Expressway; 417-655-0562.

***You're receiving this because you (or someone pretending to be you) requested to be on the mailing list of the Creole Dixieland Jazz Band from Springfield, Missouri. Or, I know you personally and just thought you'd want to be on the list. Either way, if you DO NOT want to be on our list, just reply and let me know. Thanks.***