[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 19, Issue 25

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Fri Jul 16 16:01:30 PDT 2004

I suspect it may have been some one-reeler wonder director adding something
for show to make a more interesting shot. Since most of these films used lip
synch  where the musicians pre-recorded the musis, they could do such silly
things for photo effect withut making the band sound like crap.
If you watch enough of these old one and two reelers on jazz or big bands,
you will see all tricks of the trade for hoking it up. I recorded a batch of
the old Snider Telescription shorts and they had no budget for special
effects so we had to play it al the way and do added takes if needed all in
one continuous take, no breaks changes for camera setups and new angles. Low
budget to no budget films.
Anyway, I suspect that the Kemp sutff was for camera, show, effect, not for
the musical sound..
Tah,tah, toka-toka tuk!
Don Ingle