[Dixielandjazz] What is AFJS doing now?

Norman Vickers nvickers1 at cox.net
Fri Jul 16 06:22:04 PDT 2004

------------------------------
Dan Augustine Wrote:

Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 19:18:53 -0500
From: Dan Augustine <ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: [Dixielandjazz] AFJS
To: DJML <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>

DJML--
     The websites for the American Federation of Jazz Societies
(http://www.worldmall.com/wmcc/afjs/) and the Jazz Federation
(http:www.jazzfederation.com) both seem to be inoperable.  The former
just doesn't come up and a search on the host site can't find it, and
the latter's server can't be found.
     Are they still around?  If they are, what do they do and where
can a description of their activities and functions be found?  Are
they worth investigating?  Do they actually help somehow, are they a
clearinghouse for various materials and recommendations for what
worked in various places, or what?
-------

Dan:  I worked with AFJS in various positions from the beginning in 1983
until 1999 and served as president '93-'94.
Will Connelly asked a similar question recently.  I contacted Don Jones,
editor of the American Rag, for some clarification.  Don has been very
active with AFJS for a number of years.  He was serving as president when
then AFJS Exec. Director Chuck Swann in Phoenix died.  After Chuck's death,
Don tried to salvage records and other activities of the AFJS Executive
Director's office.  There was an election and Randy Siple of Carpentria, CA
was elected president.  I am sending a copy of this by e-mail to Randy in
hopes that he will answer the question for us.  It may be that Will Connelly
has additional information related to his same query of Don Jones.

Yes, the AFJS website is inactive, much to my disappointment, too.  There
are many of us who worked long and hard on this.  We felt that we did some
good--
--got Jazz declared as "National Treasure" by resolution of congress
--developed a set of instruction manuals-- how to start a jazz society, how
organize a jazz festival etc.
--investigated possibility of block booking for acts ( didn't work)
--joined with a jazz festival organization ( my memory fails me about the
exact name)
--originated concept of "Statesmen of Jazz" recorded  them, presented them
at festivals.  Finally, they spun off in a separate organization and have
recorded a second, 2 CD set, available from Arbors Records.  Mat Domber,
Maurice Lawrence and others have made that a successful organization.

Norman Vickers
Jazz Society of Pensacola, Inc.