[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland song-styles

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Tue Jul 13 15:55:50 PDT 2004

In a message dated 7/13/04 3:35:51 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu writes:

>    You see what i'm trying to get at?  I'm not concerned with the
> labels per se for the song-styles, but the different kinds of mood
> (major/minor), rhythm (Latin, march, dirge, dance), subject-matter,
> associations that the audience has with them.  Playing such differing
> styles creates a lot of enjoyable listening for an audience, and
> perhaps in our set-lists we don't think enough about using different
> song-styles to add more interest to our music.

Yes in many bands cases you are absolutely correct Dan, whicih is why people
get bored with them often and develop a bad taste for Dixieland, going away
thinking that it all sounds the same.    Repertoire Versatility is the key to
the success of almost any musical act no matter the genre, at least in my
opinion.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins
Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band

P.S. thanks for the plug and the inclusion inthat fine list of groups, glad
you like our version of Iko Iko,  me too I could play that tune all day and
sometimes we get so many request for it that it seems like we do.  :))