[Dixielandjazz] Re: insurance

Robert S. Ringwald robert at ringwald.com
Mon Jul 12 00:43:18 PDT 2004

Wow, when I see/read all of the scams that Tom Wiggins writes about, below,
I think to myself, why didn't I think of doing that?

 Actually, even if I had thought of doing them, I wouldn't have.  But I
always marvel at the creative ways that people come up with to beat the
system, or beat other honest folks out of a buck.

In my case, when I was performing regularly in night clubs, I never saw one
musician file a claim, or do any of the things that Tom lists below.

I am not disagreeing with Tom, I am just saying that in 30 years of playing
6 to 7 nights a week in clubs, I never saw any of that happen.

What I did see was the clubs eventually wanting to pay me as an individual
contractor to save money.  They didn't want to pay things such as Worker's
Comp & matching Social Security.

Geeze every time I think about going back to playing 6 nights a week, I get
cold chills.  Been there, done that, no think you.

--Bob
robert at ringwald.com
Placerville, CA USA