[Dixielandjazz] Re: The worm turns - at long last

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Sat Jul 10 12:20:26 PDT 2004

In a message dated 7/10/04 6:55:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Hooray for live CDs sold right after the performance. Hopefully they will
> get
> the costs down to a manageable size so that OKOM jazz Festivals can have CDs
> available to audiences. Though they may not sell as well to OKOM fans as
> that
> 20 to 50% of attendees, figure quoted below, at rock concerts.
>
> Those of us who, produce and sell our own CDs enjoy that profit margin in
> the
> article once we hit break even. (100 to 200 CDs sold)
>
> No doubt in the future, you'll be able to burn a CD of the music at a
> wedding,
> or other small musical event etc., on the spot. Gee whiz, how will ASCAP and
> BMI handle that? ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Steve Barbone

I have always seen sales at well attended shows for good acts sell on average
20 to 30% of the paid audience a Cassette, Record or CD if they had them
available aafter a gig.

This is why I ony represent acts that have product to sell, the money for the
acts is int he merchandise if they get it together.

I have promoted Rock acts that sold $270,000.00 worth of CDs & T-Shirts,
Caps, pins etc. at three sold out shows in the Los Angeles Forum.   Now Multiply
that over a thirty city tour  and your talking about some serious profits, even
minus the cut for the venue %.

As for doing it for OKOM festivals, it is cost manageable but someone will
have to make an intitial investment of approximately $20,000.00 to getr the
portable equipment to do it in professional quality and reasonable quantity
output.

Cheers,

Tom Wiggins