[Dixielandjazz] RE: BMI & ASCAP MAFIA

Fred Spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Fri Jul 9 13:01:47 PDT 2004

How do the "licensed " buskers in New York City meet the edicts of ASCAP and
BMI? Tax/license money, part or all? Our trio once started to play in front
of the IBM building and were moved on sharply by one of their security
guards. We schlepped to the bottom of Central Park and made $!9.00, which
almost paid for the parking (this was in the 1980s) and 75 Italian lira
which didn't buy anything! Cheers.
Fred