[Dixielandjazz] Re: Guest Musicians redux

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Fri Jul 9 09:45:18 PDT 2004

In a message dated 7/8/04 10:49:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
sbrager at socal.rr.com writes:

> Tom;
>
> At most of the Southern California Jazz Societies, musicians who show up to
> play (outside of the scheduled band or musicians) are considered guests and
> can enjoy the music free of charge. The musicians who do show up are
> assembled into sets and play for the audience. Since no one knows who's
> going to show it's difficult to advertise their names. However, each
> musician who plays is announced.
>
> Stan
> Stan Brager

Thanks Stan:

I guess I should have added another line to my comment, What I meant to refer
to was the musicians who are often special guests performers but do not get
adequate recognition, and if not promoted have no real draw power for the event
or the artist.

Sometimes I shoot off on a subject in a hurry and get my foot in my mouth
trying to be helpful.

Not mad at anybody, and don't want them mad at me,  I just think promotion of
music and the musicians all the time since that has been my exclusive
business for forty years, and so often it is overlooked by many well meaning folks in
our business.

The artist has to be on the constant lookout for any and all publicity and
promotional value to keep their name and image in front of the very fickle
public in an every rapidly changing world and society, lest one fall thru the
cracks and off the musical planet.

That is why guys like Paul Newman have side businesses to keep his  name and
picture in front of the world in Supermarkets and their advertising
supplements weekly inbetween his movie releases.   Brilliant marketing to say the least.

Cheers,

Tom