[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Reply to review

Don Mopsick mophandl at landing.com
Sat Jan 31 15:03:41 PST 2004

With reference to Kurt's comments and reaction to Michael McQuaid's review
of Cornet Copia......
In order to justify Michael's description of the two-cornet front line being
'unusual', perhaps he should have qualified this by saying that this was all
the front line consisted of, which is unusual, but in any case two cornets
in the front-line is highly unusual in Australia these days, if not in
America.

 Having attended this concert, in fact being the organizer of this concert,
 thought this review a very accurate description of what took place, and I
very much appreciated Michael putting pen to paper at my request.  So few
people are able to do justice to such a performance these days, and are
looking for something to criticise rather than describe accurately, and
amongst other things such a review lets those who were unfortunate enough
not to be present, understand what they missed!

Diana Allen
Jazz Australia

> > From: "Kurt" <bowermastergroup at qwest.net>
> > To: "DJML" <dixielandjazz at ml.islandnet.com>
> > Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Two Cornets/Trumpets

> > any other
> > band for that matter. Since the trumpet player is usually the musical
> > director, such a line-up could be asking for trouble, but Jim and Bob
are
> > very much at home with each other, and their interplay on stage is
almost
> as
> > entertaining as their music."<<<<<<<<<<
> >
> > I do not agree with Michael's remark  that "two cornets is an UNUSUAL
> > front-line for a classic jazz band". As you will recall "two cornets"
was
> > basic and fundamental sound in the early 20's (l923 & l924) when King
> Oliver
> > and protégé Louis Armstrong were setting the standards for New Orleans
> > Traditional Jazz on the King Oliver Creole Jazz Band.
> > The two-cornet sound is perpetuated and reprised by many bands of today
> who
> > want to authentically remember those early pioneers sounds.
Occasionally,