[Dixielandjazz] OT: Women in Music was Electronic Enhancement

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Sat Jan 31 12:24:06 PST 2004

From: "Stan Brager" <sbrager at socal.rr.com>
>   It's true that many women musicians have made names for themselves -
>   Mary Lou Williams, Norma Teagarden, Melba Liston, Margie Hyams,
>   Betty O'Hara and others - it has only been through tremendous efforts
>   on their part. Yet, discrimination still exists.See the following article...

Well, Bob and Stan,
I suppose the best person to address this would be the artist formerly known
as John Leitham, the left-handed bass player who played for Mel Torme and
with Doc Severinsen's famed "Tonight Show" band. Is she now respected any
less as a musician? Does Jennifer get more work? Or less work?
Regardless of gender, some might still say she plays "too many notes."
(Because she CAN!) Now THERE is a stylist! I am always fascinated by her.
Love and hugs,
Nancy