[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Parker

Nancy Giffin nancyink at ulink.net
Sat Jan 31 09:00:39 PST 2004

From: Stephen Barbone <barbonestreet at earthlink.net>

Why the fuss over Parker? My goodness, what boggles my mind is Why Not?

Hi Steve and others,

At the end of my letter to Beebe yesterday, I had to laugh that we're
plucking "Bird" feathers again.

Though I prefer the styles of Bechet and Hodges, I say "Why not?" to Parker
-- sometimes.  It's part of my creative nature to enjoy -- no, need! -- the
variety.

A good stylist paints a picture for me to climb into and "be" wherever
they're at. I admit that some of the solos that seem to come from a
heroin-induced stupor tend to paint pictures of places I'd rather not visit,
just like I'd rather not look at Calvin Klein models with that
trashy-heroin-addict-inner-city look, but I do think it's sad when list
mates take so much delight in tearing apart any talented and creative
musician just because they are "different." Different can be good. One need
not tear another person down in order to elevate themselves. Maybe your
friends will see you higher, but not everyone shares in the illusion.

I know, I know: "But it's all in fun!" Yes, I know. Play on, good sirs. I
don't mean to spoil the fun; I'm just expressing a "different" view.

Love and hugs,
Nancy, who grew up on Rock n' Roll, and doesn't know much
and who has more of a problem with Bird stealing chickens than playing his
soul.