[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Parker

Avache1 at aol.com Avache1 at aol.com
Sat Jan 31 11:30:36 PST 2004

In a message dated 1/31/04 10:19:45 AM Eastern Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:
What can I say? Don't like Parker, that's fine. That is a personal choice. But
please, enough of this "who should listen to what" advice, to others, based
upon you personal choices. That part of the world we live in is still free and
folks, including trad jazz musicians, should listen to whomever and whatever
they want.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
Well put, Steve. I've been listening to this dumb argument for over 20 years.
My feeling is, if somebody plays good they are worth listening to. It doesn't
mean you have to play thier way, but a good player can learn from Parker,
Bechet, Armstrong, Coltrane, et al. If you can't see what you can learn you
shouldn't be trying to play in OKOM in the first place.
Allan Vache'