[Dixielandjazz] Charlie Parker

Mike Durham mikedurham_jazz at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 15:38:52 PST 2004

Steve Barbone wrote:

>Perhaps if UK trad musos had listened to more Parker, the world would have
>avoided all that "awful British Trad" (only kidding, VBG ;-), not including
>the
>couple of good bands)

Steve, you won't of course know this, but the arch-proponent of awful
British Trad, the late Ken Colyer, listened to Parker (and Condon, and
Tatum, and a lot more besides) both on records and on his visits to NY as a
seaman in the years just after the war - in fact, he greatly admired Wild
Bill. Didn't stop him playing the way he did, though. And a great many of
the awful British Trad players I know, self included, are not violently
averse to bop (but just don't get me started on Albert Ayler- or Kenny G!).
Point is, I'd rather spend time talking about (and playing) the music I DO
like than running down the music I don't.

Awfully tradly, but English rather than Britishly yours,

Mike.