[Dixielandjazz] Re: Cut & Paste

Bill Haesler bhaesler at bigpond.net.au
Sat Jan 31 20:23:23 PST 2004

Dear Bob - and DJMLers,
I have been silently reading (and deleting) the posts on this subject over
the last few days, but have now decided to get on your 'dead horse' to make
an observation.
In about1957 I bought an LP of the greatest of all jazz concerts (not
counting the Goodman 1938 one).
'Wilbur De Paris at Symphony Hall' - Boston, 26 Oct 1956.
Atlantic 1253 (my copy on English London LTZ-K15086).
Wilbur, tb;  Sidney, t; Omer Simeon, cl; Sonny White, p; left-handed bjoist
Lee Blair; Bennie Moten, sb and Wilbert Kirk, d.
You all know it (or should). The one with "Wrought Iron Rag/Majorca/Toll
Gate Blues'.
On "Wrought Iron Rag" (a 6 minute version which I HAVE played on air) after
Omer Simeon's clt  Sidney De Paris follows with one of the hottest tpt solos
on record. Then Wilbur slides into his tbn solo from under the enthusiastc
applause to complement his brother.
My once new LP copy is now well-worn, so a few years ago (about 1993) I
could not believe my luck when I found a French CD reissue, 7567-82268-2YG,
(the only copy) in a local shop, complete with the original cover photo of
Wilur and his French poodle, Zizi, on the steps of Symphony Hall and a full
reproduction of the back cover notes and details in the folded insert.
However.
When I played the CD I was astounded, and a little disappointed!
Someone at Atlantic, must have said let's reissue this top-selling album.
"Here is the master tape."
And that is what is on the CD. The unedited original tape. Or so it seems.
It soon became obvious that whoever had produced the LP master, had done a
Jim Kash type labour of love. Many hours of love, it seems.
There is no thunderous applause after Sidney's solo, no sliding up from
behind into Wilbur's tbn solo.
All a bit flat and (relatively) uninteresting.
Omer Simeon's mild squeak in his solo introduction to "Piano Blues" is also
revealed on the CD to have been 'doctored' on the LP.
I know which version of the concert I prefer to play when I want a proper
jazz 'fix' from Wilbur De Paris & His New New Orleans Jazz.
The worn-out LP.
Kind regards,
Bill.