[Dixielandjazz] The World's Greatest Jazz Band

Steven Holzer slholzer at iquest.net
Fri Jan 30 23:50:32 PST 2004

Most people remember the early editions of the WGJB with the big name
line-ups. It is often forgotten that the band travelled in its later
years with a less stellar line-up that was nonetheless still one of the
best bands going. I recall a show they did for the Indianapolis Jazz
Club after guys like Ralph Sutton, Vic Dickenson, Bud Freeman had alreay
gone their separate ways.  The band stepped up to play The Saints (Yawn,
right. Not hardly.) The second stringers blew life into it. The star of
the show was Keith Ingham, the English transplant pianist

Whether they were ever the World's Greatest is a matter of personal
opinion. We'll never get consensus, no point in trying. I should note
that the "grandiose" beginning of the title was always modified by the
phrase "of Bob Haggart and Yank Lawson", which made the whole thing
somewhat less pretentious. At any given time, the band really was the
best band belonging to those two persons. It was an effective PR ploy
and I think they can be forgiven if it was slightly over the top.

Steve Holzer